Mărăşti village is a representative part of history as a result of the battles from World War First, here were recorded the first victories of the 1917 Romanian Army campaign. Marasti was occupied by Austro-Hungarian armies and because of it, the 2nd Army, led by Averescu, had to destroy it almost entirely. You can find here details of Marasti battle.
On the first day of battle- July 9, 1917 (Old Style note) General Al. Mărgineanu, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division, which stormed enemy lines in Mărăşti promised restoration of the village. In a meeting held, subsequent, on the front, was decided to be established “Mărăşti” Society which was to rebuild the village and turn it into one of the most modern villages in interwar Romania.
Moreover, although there are four mausoleums built in Vrancea in the memory of the heroes of World War First, only here it was built around the idea: ” Mărăşti Historical Battlefield 1916-1919,” as it is written on the frontispiece beneath the Arc de Triomphe at the entrance of the village.
Almost a century away, Racoasa Hall implements the project “100 years of heroism at Mărăşti” which aims at setting up a memorialistic route of ” The Battle from Mărăşti” and to highlight the activity of Marasti Society, composed of military personalities, and which, with a common effort, rebuilt the village after its distruction during World War First.
After 1945 Marasti entered into obscurity, but nationalist-communist policy led by Ceausescu revives after 1980 the heroes cult. At the Mărăşti Mausolem, as in the rest of the mausoleums erected in Vrancea in the memory of the heroes of World War First, were organized trips with students who were made pioneers right in those places. There were reminded only war heroes without mentioning anything about the other acomplishments of “Mărăşti” Society.
1989 Revolution finds Mărăşti Mausoleum severely affected by seepage, in 2009-2014, it entered into a long process of rehabilitation and restoration, works were financed by the European Union through Regio program.
This is, in brief, the story of a hundred years of rise and fall of Mărăşti village, a story that we invite you to discover extensively within this website.It is a virtual journey that must be completed with a visit to a place where, without the use of stereotypes, Romania’s modern history was written in blood.
The Battle from Marasti began on July 9, 1917 (Old Style note) preparing artillery. 2nd Army led by Marshal Averescu covered a front of 35 kilometers long and faced a powerful enemy – Gerock group composed of 8th Austro – Hungarian Mountain Brigade and 218 German Infantry Division.
Marasti village was occupied by Gerock group, the local church steeple being transformed into observation post. In the area, to the south of the church, on the enemy fortification line was discovered a concrete pillbox, its conservation status is very good. If you come to Mărăşti, feel free to visit it ….any villager can guide you to Stefan Matei pillbox.
On the morning of July 9, the attack was on the south flanc by 3rd Infantry Division led by General Alexandru Mărgineanu. The General called the priest of the Division and asked him:
– Father, what is the patron Saint of this day?
– St. Mary Magdalene, replied the priest.
– Then, it is a lucky day, father!, exclaimed the General, then continued: “I pledge now, to death […] that if God helps us to obtain victory, the church of Mărăşti village, which is destroyed by our guns, I will rebuild it as beautiful as no other, and I will give her the patron saint of Mary Magdalene, who is also the day of our Queen Mary.”
1.469 soldiers died in the Battle from Marasti
The battles of Marasti have surprised even the opponents, due to the way in which the battle plan was conceived. On July 9/22, 1917, from the heights that dominated Marasti began Romanian army attack on German troops in order to encircle and destroy the 9th Army through an offensive in the Soveja basin. It was the most successful Allied military operation in 1917, the victory at Mărăşti contributing greatly to the morale support of the soldiers. During the 10 days of fierce fighting 1469 soldiers were killed and 3052 soldiers of the 2nd Romanian Army were wounded.
Read here about the Battle from Mărăşti, and here you can find Marshal Alexandru Averescu memoirs on the battle.
After the battles from Mărăşti village, apart from the few damaged houses that were still standing, everything was a pile of ruins, destroyed by the artillery of the 2nd Army. So, because he didn’t forget his promise to God and to his comrades, immediately after relative stabilization of the front, on September 12, 1917, General Alexandru Mărgineanu, proposes to “put back on feet” Mărăşti village. His proposal remained written on the minutes no. 14448/1917 of the general meeting of 3rd Division:
“On the most glorious battle given at the beginning of the campaign by the 3rd Division troops, on July 11, 1917 Mărăşti village was freed from enemy hands. In that memorable battle our courageous troops freed other villages too, but none of them suffered from the barbaric enemy as Mărăşti did. Mărăşti is not as it used to be. It is a real wreck. So we have high moral and patriotic duty to bring round that village again. Before all, we who conquered it, we must take the initiative of appointing a fund as the «Mărăşti” fund, with the help of which a more beautiful and bigger village should be built. I wish that the first contribution to be made by the officers, under-officers and soldiers by soldiers of the 3rd Division, after which the fund will be supported by contributions of the Romanian population. On this purpose, each person will contribute to its possibilities. The amounts collected are gathered under the direct supervision of each regimental commander, nominated lists with those who have contributed will be drafted. After definitively collecting the money, they will be distributed, with legal forms to Quartermaster Service of 3rd Division, which will report the outcome no later than September 25″.
The proposal was accepted with great enthusiasm by the “whole assembly of generals and senior officers, delegates of the 2nd Army troops […], and taking every solemn commitment to support the achievement of all patriotic goals pursued by the Society”.
The establishment of ”Mărăști” Society
Afterwards, on the support of General Marginenau idea, on December 5, 1917, at Coţofeneşti on Trotuş, where was the seat of the 2nd Army Corps, General Alexandru Averescu called “generals and senior officers, delegates of divisions “which were part of the 2nd Army, in order to decide upon the proposal of the 3rd Division commander regarding the establishment of a fund that was supposed to restore Mărăşti village.
On the date stated at the general assembly of the 2nd Army attended generals, commanders of divisions, brigades and two commanders of each division. At the meeting, General Alexandru Averescu proposed to be developed as a patriotic idea in the sense of creating a Society named “Mărăşti”, which will gather all the soldiers of the 2nd Army troops and services. The delegates of the 2nd Army divisions were set, in law, for the first general meeting of “Mărăşti” Society. Then, a text of the Regulation for raising and administering of funds necessary for restoration work was read. The first general meeting deliberated on the purpose and means of achievement of the Society, thus raise the first statute of “Mărăşti” Society, definitively drawn up on January11, 1918. In its content were recorded the most important desiderata that the Society proposed:
To perpetuate from one generation to another the commemoration of the Battle of Mărăşti;
Erect a memorial monument;
Reconstruction of a part of hostile work;
Reconstruction of Mărăşti village.
In this regard, General Averescu stated that rebuilding the village Mărăşti involved building a church, a school and especially a crypt-mausoleum building to house the remains of Romanian and foreign soldiers died on this front etc.
In the same context, by vote, a steering committee was elected, consisting of 12 members. Overall, they were great commanders and soldiers who had led their army to victory in battles at Marasti, and they took care of their fellow souls who, through the supreme sacrifice, had secured a title of glory for the army which flag they fought under.
Honorary President – Marshal Averescu
General Alexandru Averescu was appointed honorary president, a position he had until 1938 when he died, then General Arthur Vaitoianu was elected president. Read about Marshal Averescu and his involvement in the reconstruction of Marasti village here.
General Alexandru Mărgineanu was appointed active chairman, a function held until his death in 1930, being then replaced by General Gheorghe Valeanu. As members were elected generals: Sava Dimitriu, Dabija George Alexiu Alexandru Gheorghe Negoescu; Colonels: Macri Ion and Calotescu Constantin, Major Paschievici Cornelius, lieutenant colonels: Gheorghiu D, Gheorghiu A., Botez M.Gheorghe. Among them was elected the chief executive, who actually led the Society having the legal right to represent it. Initially, this role was assigned to colonel Mihail Angelescu and on November 1, 1920 has been replaced by Gen. Grigore Simionescu. On 1 July 1923 he was replaced with General Gheorghe Dabija, who will carry out his mission with dedication, remaining loyal to the Society until its abolition. He linked his name forever, to many achievements of “Mărăşti” Society. In that period there were also elected: a Committee secretary, in the person of Major Tătărescu Stefan, and a cashier, intendance captain David Petre.
It should be noted that, in general, all those mentioned have worked for the Society without being paid, so through a voluntary contribution. In time, changes of the responsabilities will occur. For 31 years “Mărăşti” Society headquarters was in Bucharest (originally str. General Berthelot, no. 83), in accordance with the Law-Decree from July 27, 1920 – See Official Gazette here. Over time, together with the personalities mentioned were added others : generals George Văleanu, Arthur Văitoianu, Ion Popovici, Cihoschi Henrich, Constandache Gheorghe, Manolescu Chiraculea and Moşoiu Traian being appointed honorary members. Afterwards they were added: Minister Constantin Argetoianu, PSS Pimen – Metropolitan of Moldova and Suceava – Alexandru Zissu, who donated 30 hectares of land to the Society in town Mărăşti for building the proposed objectives, General Stefanescu Amza (former Minister of Defence) George Mârzescu Minister, dr. Liviu Gigăreanu, prefect of Timis-Torontal etc.
If you would like to find out more information about Marshal Alexandru Averescu and 1917 front, click here.
The Heritage of Mărăști Society
Four years after its foundation by Royal Decree no.16/3 January 1921, the aim of society was extended, allowing the possibility to create, depending on the material means which were at the disposal, new institutions, such as orphanages, nursing homes for the military, etc. Initially “Mărăşti” Society didn’t have a distinct heritage, but it was acquired in time, with the constructions that were done. Furthermore, the fact that the society was born in addition to 3rd Division Corps, its management and accounting, in the period 1917-1919, were kept by the specialized staff of the Units in accordance with the procedures of the military administration at that time.
By the Decision from 11/24 July 1919, the administration was to be achieved by simple accounting rules, peculiar to the Third Division headquarters. This was then legislated by Decision. 18, of September 12, 1922 by the High Court of Accounts, United Sections which has determined that the “Mărăşti” Society is not a government but a private company, which it’s administrated according to the statutes of a steering Committee and the General Assembly of the Society and therefore, is not subject to art. 253 of the Law on public accounting, which was applied to all state administrations.
Stages of rebuilding Mărăşti village
With all these preparations in force, due to the difficult situation from the Romanian border and the deployment of troops necessary, for two years after founding, the Society was unable to fulfill its objectives, due to inability to raise funds.
Since 1919, the works from Mărăşti started, being planned to be performed in several stages. First plans were drawn up with the technical management of the works. For this, the Society established a Technical Service, in which important specialists worked, often without pay. From March 22, 1919, this service included: Cretzoiu – chief architect, George Cristinel – help architect, Kosinski – help architect, Şerbănescu – builder draftsman, Spreitzer – builder draftsman.
After 1920, the leader of the Mărăşti site was exclusively architect Pandele Şerbănescu. First, it was necessary for the construction of 140 housing barracks for locals, until they could build the houses, now in ruins. Next, the trenches that crisscrossed the village were clogged, in every sense, the activity required approximately 400 people work for two years.
The works planned to be carried out on Historical Field from Mărăşti were started initially in own, then were given the contract. Thus, following a public tender in which five bidders were presented, on February 10,1920 had prevailed Romaşcu & C. Blaimayer company from Bucharest, which a discount of 10.27% in the unit price of currencies, provided that the Society will supply the necessary materials and tools at a reasonable price. The Company should built houses for the villagers, a church, a school and a hydraulic plant.
Building infrastructure: road & mocăniţă
From the beginning, “Mărăşti” Society took into account building an infrastructure to supply materials to the yard in the village. It was established to be put in action a narrow railway (mocăniţa) “Tişiţa”, that provided the link between Mărăşeşti and Mărăşti. The railway ran through Racoasa village and had as final destination Soveja town. This line was put into service in late 1919 when the embankments were consolidated, bridges and garage limits were built and some of the scattered material was gathered. Because the line passing 2 km from the Mărăşti village ( between Racoasa-Mărăşti), it was necessary to establish a transit depot, on the place given by the landowner Negroponte, who donated the land on which they built Marasesti Mausoleum, where are buried the soldiers that died on the 1st Romanian Army front.
Until this release, the warehouse functioned provisionally in one of the lockers provided by CFR. From the warehouse, the materials were to be transported by truck to a distance of 5-6 km. In such difficult conditions, in 1919, they were transported to Mărăşti 50-60 wagons of materials.They came to Racoasa from where they were transported to the dirt, demaged roads to Marasti.
This situation called for the need to build new roads, provided by “works of art”: bridges, drainage etc. One of these roads began from Racoasa village, went up through Alba village and continue straight on the south plateau of the Mărăşti village. Residents of Racoasa on whose places they built this road “voluntarily gave up their lands to Racoasa village Hall”. But because this road can not fully meet the requirements of transport, because of very rugged terrain, allowing only animal traction, the opportunity to achieve a different path was sought. The solution found – the achievement of a road on the right side of the river Alba. He was 6-7 km long and had a slope of 3-5%. With the support of Racoasa and Mărăşti inhabitants, by days of labour, with the approval of the Ministry of Public Works, this new road was finished in 1921.
June and July of 1920 were very rainy, which led to the destruction of roads and narrow railways “Tişiţa”. Due to the destruction of infrastructure works on site Mărăşti stalled.
This situation has imposed building a new railway between Gogoiu hamlet and Mărăşti village. The works were given to Company “Romaşcu D. & C. Blaimayer”, providing all the necessary materials, both for proper installation and for construction of the line. The works were completed in spring 1921. The line began from the narrow rail “Tişiţa” and follow the stream Dracea-Mare, over 1.4 km long. On this line they were made three bridges over Dracea, many dams for water removal and a lot of cuts in the banks. The materials transported to Mărăşti on new narrow railway had to be climbed to a height of 60 meters, which is why they built a funicular, consisting of a trolley driven by a “stationary engine”. Funicular have a level difference – between the point of departure and arrival point – 63 meters high and 240 meters long.
By trolley and cable it was about 16-20 tons of material. Thus, in 1921 there were transported about 7,000-8,000 tonnes of material, fodder etc. For repair and maintenance of this line was necessary a large mechanical workshop, equipped with two lathes, drilling machines, forges with fans etc. It was added another carpentry workshop, equipped with desks, circular saw etc. Then, it was necessary that in addition, to be built housing for workers and for CFR machinery.
Taking into account that for the construction of buildings in Mărăşti it was needed pressed bricks, a gorund for its manufacturing was found, on Gogoiu village meadow on the right road that led to Soveja. First, in 1919 it started developing shaped bricks by hand, making 700,000 units. bricks / year, completely burned. For holding them to dry, sheds had to be built, occupying an area of 3,000 square meters.
Then, a plant was built, in which a press mixer was installed, driven by a steam machine, 24-30 horse power, with a rate of 12,000-15,000 pieces brick / day. In this way the yield was high, hoping to be made about 2,500,000 bricks / year, completely burned. The clay for making bricks was brought by means of a trolley, and the water required for the manufacture of bricks was pulled by a high-pressure pump in a pool built on 5 meters hight.
To accomodate the workers of this factory there were built houses made of bricks. The need for shelter materials, animals and foods transformed Gogoiu medow into a place where a number of deposits where established, right on an area of 400 sqm “given” by the inhabitant Popa Ionita. Originally, on this area were installed Society “Marasti” Administration offices, Technical Service, the house of the deposit manager and the body guard’s. All these buildings were made of wood and housing parts were built inside with brick, the warehouses being equipped inside with shelves and tools.Also in Gogoiu, on an area of 700 square meters, a warehouse was built for housing the craftsmen and the site and for housing the animals were built, of brick, two stables: one on Dracei Valley with an area of 120 square meters, and the other in the area of deposits from Gogoiu, with an area of 300 sqm.To ensure daily food for workers was established a bakery and a cafeteria.
Water Plant and Power Plant
Marasti village is situated on a plateau totally lacking drinking water, without any well, and because the difference of level – from groundwater to the village settlement – vary between 60-150 m height, residents were forced to acquire the necessary water from a fountain located 11 km away from the village. More details about building of the Water Plant and Power Plant you can find here.
Among the large-scale works carried out by the Society in Mărăşti village,a power plant was made also, an absolute novelty in rural areas at that time, both for public lighting and lighting other objectives (mausoleum, church, school, factories etc. ). Details about achieving electrification system from Mărăşti you can find here.
Houses for locals
Out of ruins, the village reborn thanks to Mărăşti Society! A priority of the company was rebuilding homes for the villagers. Initially, for housing the residents whose homes had been destroyed by war, there were built in the area of deposits from Gogoiu on an area of 200 square meters, barrack which had inside beds and stoves. Then, beginning in the fall of 1918 and the spring of 1919, there were arranged “acceptable for housing” 100 houses, mostly from boards outside and inside coated with clay.
Once established in 1919 the construction service, during works campaign that followed, until 1920, were carried out 14 houses of various types (5, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 31, 33 …) being brought into use for emergencies cases: families of orphans, invalids and others, their delivery intended to be done during the celebration of July 11, 1920. But the weather being bad, by the end of 1920, only two houses were built. Then came the campaign of 1921, when they finished building other houses generally on the same structure, the only difference, depending on the type of house, was the number of the rooms (ranging from 2-3 rooms). For example, the house of Ionita Popescu, “type 17”, located on the main street of the village, consisted of two large rooms of 5-6 m, and a smaller room for the kitchen, all equipped with stoves and chimneys. The house had two doors, a porch, a ladder, a food cellar and a pantry behind the house to preserve agricultural tools. Following the pantry was a shed for housing the wagon and above a catwalk for corn. The farm was complete with a “beautiful barn” where could be housed two horses and three cows.Above this was a barn hayloft, and behind the barn a latrine had been built.
The reception of all the houses was made on December 25, 1921, being then given to the population.Then, in the campaign works from the following year, 1922, another 25 farmhouses have been improved, adding them rooms, veranda etc.
Queen Mary School Girls
One of the greatest achievements of “Mărăşti” Society will always be “Queen Mary” School. As children from Mărăşti had to go to Racoasa village to learn, at a distance of 5 km. So, Society’s first concern was to ensure an acceptable space for school education. For starters, one of the houses from the village was transformed into a school and began operating in 1919.
In 1920 the Society began building a local school, corresponding to modern requirements, completed in 1921 under the name Queen Mary School of Weaver. It was located on adiacent side of the village, to permit attendance by the children from neighboring hamlets: Gogoiu and Roşculeţ. The school had 4 large classes where they could learn up to 200 students, a conference room with an area of 100 square meters, room for office, one for the library, in the left and right housing for teachers, consisting of two rooms, and three basement rooms for servants. In the middle of the school there was a large vestibule for winter recreation including internal furnishings. “Primary school” – type “urban”, was received on December 25, 1921, being given to Ion Radu Baniţă – possibly headmaster. From the beginning, the teacher was Sister Magdalena Iuga, paid monthly by the Society. After the ’30s, due to disagreements with the village priest, she left to Agapia Monastery. Further details on what Queen Mary School of Girls meant for Marasti village, you can find on our website.
The building of Marasti Church
Mărăşti church was built on the site of the old one, destroyed by bombing. Works began in 1921 and finalized in 1928, when it was consecrated in a majestic setting in the presence AS regent Queen Mary and Prince Nicholas. The church is built in Moldavian style and Byzantine painting of rare beauty and originality is performed by painter Ionel Ioanid. In 1928, the church was dedicated to Mary Magdalene, now the church dedicated to the Assumption (Adormirea Maicii Domnului). At the entrance in the church a marble panel, bearing a motto with the signature of Queen Mary : ”Let rebuilt with love in the memory of those fallen here”
In addition, bell tower and a parish house were built. “Mărăşti” Society has set a new cemetery of the village, which was initially in the churchyard. The cemetery was relocated in the south part of the village, being surrounded by a solid fence. The initial cemetery turned into a small park where greenery and fruit trees were planted near the church fence, along with climbing roses. It should be noted that “Mărăşti” Society supported the rebuilding of other places of worship such as Muşunoaiele hermitage, the church from Vizantea Manastireasca and the church from Gogoiu, which was consecrated in 1942. More details about Marasti church you can find here.
Arc de Triomphe from Mărăști
During works campaign of 1928, namely on March 27, the reception of two other artistic municipal works accomplished by entrepreneur Gabriel Petrescu and architect Pandele Şerbănescu was done. One is the “Arc de Triomphe”, at the entrance of the village, 3.70 m high. It has on both sides, two small gates and on the top bears the inscription: “Historical Field Mărăşti “. The other work is the Fountain monument made of stone and with a waterwhole for cattle.
But, of all the achievements of Marasti Society Marasti Mausoleum has a special place. The ceremony of consecration of St. “Maria-Magdalena” Church, on 10 June 1928, was held at the same time with ceremony of the foundation stone of Monument – Crypts, place of great reverence, built with the purpose of housing the remains of soldiers killed in battles from Mărăşti, and a place where eternal gratitude should perpetuate their sacrifice.
At the ceremony which was preceded by the inauguration of the village church attended Crown Prince Regent Nicholas, IPSS Pimen, Metropolitan of Moldova and Suceava, Marshal Alexandru Averescu, General Alexandru Mărgineanu, other members of “Mărăşti” Society, delegates of Reserve Officers’ Union, representatives of the regiments that fought at Mărăşti and towns residents from Putna County. More details abou Marasti Mausoleum you can find here.
The Museum of the Battlefield
At the beginning of 1934, a steering committee has decided to set up a “museum in which to gather some special trophies and objects of curiosity, conquered from the enemy in the battle of Mărăşti”. Colonel Ionescu- Munte and General Dabija Mountain were nominated to organize the museum. In order to equip the museum it had to intervene at the Ministry of National Defense, “to […] give some of the weapons and ammunition of all kinds, from the era of the great war.”Also, endeavors were made to the Military Museum (then in Carol Park) to donate part of historical objects necessary: ”uniforms, photographs, paintings with episodes during the Great War and, in particular, from the front of the 2nd Army “. For the same purpose, they wished to make some models, “representing types of Romanian soldiers and those of friendly and enemy armies, armed with weapons from the Great War”; to fabricate parts for laying panoply of arms and “to show the military genius […], scenes, historical episodes during the Great War. In a place of honor were intended to be placed paintings and oil paintings, representing the King Ferdinand I and Queen Mary wearing war attire, the Crown Prince Charles and former commanders of units, to the heads of corps and possibly officers decorated with “Mihai Viteazu” Order” for acts of bravery on the front from Mărăşti. It was planned the manufacture of ” oak roadside crucifix, with historical inscriptions, that should reveal the offensive from Mărăşti”, referring to the regiments: 2 Vânători “Argeş”, 22 “Dâmboviţa”, 28 Infanterie “Radu-Negru”, 30 “Muscel”, 17 “Mehedinţi” and 18 “Gorj”.
They were to be assembled in concrete, on the Historical Field Mărăşti, right where each of them fought. Also it was foreseen the confectioning of “two gypsum boards in relief, one with Historical Field Marasti area and the other with the entire region of the 2nd Army field operations, between Tg. Ocna-Varniţa” that depicted “the military devices of friendly and enemy armies, and the attack directions of the Romanian Army.” Then, in spring of 1936, Major Nicolaescu N. Ioan was tasked that by the end of that year to finalize the organization of the museum. The deadline could not be met, the Major needed more time to arrange the museum point, because, as specified in the informative report, this activity was done in his “free time (holidays, leaves, legal holidays)”.
The Heritage of the Museum
On December 18, 1937 for the museum were made: 9 paintings placed in frames; windows were cut for framing photographs (there were a total of 628 photographs and 120 slides); there were transported from Targoviste to Mărăşti four crates with old weapons. In time, other objects have been added. Thus, after the death of Marshal Averescu on March 13, 1939 there were brought a number of his objects to be exhibited. During the Second World War and the period that followed, the assets of the Society weakened or disappeared, largely because ot the inhabitants. This is how happened for instance on May 8, 1945, when the museum was looted by thieves, who “broke down the door and stole from the panoply seven guns, four swords, three revolvers French type.” When the sergeant major Simion Nastase, administrator and custodian of the Historical Field,gave on August 17, 1945 the management to Mihăilă Iftimie, important objects were in the museum: “shotguns different models – 68 pieces, revolvers different models – 1 piece, old guns staples – 5 pieces, swords – 66 pcs, sword sheaths – 39 pcs, usual bayonets – 6 pieces, bayonets […] – 33 pcs, long bladed bayonets – 23 pcs, tesace – 18 pcs, sub-machine guns – 3 pcs, cavalry lances – 4 pieces, Romanian headsets – 5 pcs, German helmets – 8 pieces, defensive hand grenades – 2 pieces, shovels “Lineman” type – 2 pcs, bronze heads – 3 pieces, folders for tesace – 2 pieces, folders for long, sharpened bayonets – 8 pcs, folders for long bayonets with blade – 3 pieces, rods weapon – 12 pcs, chargers F (P) M – 1 piece, machine guns different models – 4 pieces, trench mortar with its projectile – 1 piece, mortars – 3 pieces, grenade launchers (Russian) – 2 pieces, aiming for artillery unit – 1pc, shells different calibers – 13 pcs, models equipped – 6 pieces, paintings – 6 pieces, plates bronze and agenda – 8 pcs, maps (master plans) – 2 pcs, relief – 1 piece, painting representing General Mărgineanu – 1 pc, photographs with images of war 1916/1918 – 300 pieces, wooden frames with glass with 4 rows of photographs – 15 pieces, glass frames and photo – 6 pieces, inventory Marshal Averescu belongings (14 pieces). “
Cultural Centre ….
Above all these achievements, it has been added “Averescu” Cultural Centre, a settlement founded in memory of former honorary president of the Society. It should have been operational in the Parish House since November 10, 1942, cultural moments were scheduled to take place in a classroom from “Queen Mary” School, but its own premises was never built.
This website is informative and has been developed using information from public sources or information published by various historians, among which we would like to mention dr. Valeria Balescu, curator at “King Ferdinand I”National Military Museum, Bucharest and dr. Horia Dumitrescu, Director of Vrancea Museum. However, we also provided information from Queen Mary and Marshal Averescu memoirs.